- Killing Pests: Today I spend half hour going war against the gnats. You may ask your self, really? Thirty minutes killing gnats?But seriously, that's a conservative guess. Last night I left out a bowl of red wine and a bowl of apple cider vinegar to see which they liked better. Well, turns out they like them both but the gnats weren't ready to take the plunge to their death. So, they needed a little help. What you need to do is wait for the gnat to land on the side of the bowl then sneak up on them and blow them into the liquid. I've caught 7 so far! I need to get a life...
- Refinishing Furniture: I decided that I wanted to refinish a buffet that I found at Good Will for $34.99 since that seemed way cheaper than buying a new Ikea one for $100. Well, $50 later and three weekends later, I'm starting to think this wasn't such a fun project after all. ($34.99 + $50 projects = $84.99 + DAYS of my time = NOT WORTH IT) I'm super lucky the Vogler's bought me an orbital sander for my 24th birthday because I sure couldn't have even started this project without it. I'm finally on the stretch and this better be the best dang buffet anyone's ever seen. I'll post pictures when I'm done. If that ever happens.
- Lawn Care: Our landlord wrote in our contract that we were in charge of lawn maintenance. Ok, fair enough. We told her, sure, we can do that, we just need some lawn equipment. So, what did we get? A cheaper than cheap weed whacker. We're talking one stringy thingy not even two. So last night, after weeks of procrastinating, we finally got around to it. Since I've never mowed (or whacked) a lawn, I let Henry do it (it's a man's job anyways, right?) and I told him if he did that, I'd run the cord and clean up. Big mistake. The whole thing was a big mistake. We now have a yard that looks like a 5 year old got a hold of their dads hair clippers - it's all uneven with dents everywhere, not atheistically pleasing. Henry whacked the whole yard and I put on gloves and was trying to collect the clippings with a dust pan. I think all our neighbors were probably laughing at us especially because I forgot to add it was pouring down rain.
Monday, October 11, 2010
Little Green House VS. Cari
For those who know me well, you know that I don't sit still very well. So moving into a new place gives me lots of opportunities for projects and creativity. Well, it's getting old. Here's what I've got going on:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL Cari I LOVE you : ) That made me smile : ) Creative way to catch gnats, did you find that on the internet? I know you can catch hornets with a bucket of water and a hot dog. As for refurnishing the furnature, I totally feel your pain! I repainted the doors at the cabin, and well I thought that it would take an afternoon, no try two whole weekends! I didnt know you had to strip it, scrape it, then put some other stuff on, then sand it, then prime it, then paint it. But hey, I know know that I wont volunteer to do that again! And your lawn story, waaaaayyy to funny! We have an electric lawn mower, once this summer we waited way to long to mow and it died 1/2 through mowing the lawn, it looked fantastic! Haha, joy of home maintenence : )
ReplyDeleteThis lawn story is screaming for a photo... do share! Maybe your landlord will be so embarrassed that she'll get you a mower. If anybody can run a one gal show it's you, you've got this!
ReplyDelete*I feel your gnat pain. Vacuums work pretty well. But the dang things are impossible.
ReplyDelete*Been there on the furniture projects. But Henry said it looked great! Plus, you're helping the planet/recycling right??
*I weed-whacked our college rental house yard before our lease ended. Suffice to say we had a yard fee taken out of our deposit.
Good luck!