We arrived to our campsite and set up camp. The site was complete with a picnic area and a fire pit too!
However, the ONE thing we forgot was camp chairs. At first, I was totally bummed out. Then, I decided to innovate. We didn’t have any logs around so I went log hunting. I found the PERFECT one. So, I called Henry over who said, ya it looks good, but it was too heavy for us to lift. Phfff, no problem. I spent the next 30 minutes rolling this enormous log uphill. It was some serious work!
Day one we did a hike to two lakes that were absolutely gorgeous. The experience was dampened by the loud and large family that decided to spread themselves out then yell at each other to try to decide on the best place for their picnic. That sounds like no problem, but when it takes 30 minutes of yelling to decide where to eat, there’s a major problem. Especially when Henry and I were TRYING to enjoy the peaceful noise of nature. But, the hike was still a lot of fun and we good some great pictures.
Next, we drove up to Paradise, the highest camp that you can drive to. Unfortunately, since Mt. Rainier is so large it actually makes its own weather, the dang mountain decided it wanted to be clouded so we couldn’t see anything! It was a little disappointing but it was still a really neat drive.
Henry made delicious Hobo Dinner (tin foil stuffed with beef, sausage, onion and pepper… delicious!) We did a little exploring around the Ohanapecosh River that night. Henry made a sail boat out of wood and leaves and we spent quite a while trying to get it to sail. Turns out, although it was atheistically pleasing, the poor boat was unable to withstand the river current and immediately capsized (see video below)
After dark, we made a big campfire and made some s’mores with peanut butter. I love camp food!
We ended up having some camp neighbors on motorcycles that were incredibly rude. I’m not sure how this couple didn’t get the memo, but it is NOT ok to walk through out campsite. Go around! In the middle of the night, we kept hearing the guy walk right next to our tent. Is that REALLY necessary? It may be the great outdoors, but hey, there are still etiquette rules to follow!
In the morning, we woke up and had a tasty breakfast then headed on a hike to some waterfalls. It was a lot of fun and there weren’t many people out that early, so we had a leisurely hike that morning.
Overall, we had a great trip but wished we could have stayed longer!

That is what I hate about camping in Northwest Washington. People that don't know how to camp.
ReplyDelete