Wednesday, September 29, 2010

European Adventure Part 3

Once we made it to Salzburg, we all decided we were low on blood sugar and stopped for lunch. It was a super stressful train ride with no A/C and no place to store luggage. Dad picked up the rental car, I jumped in the front seat to be the navigator and we drove approximately 3 hours to Stadl an der Mer. The mountains we drove through were amazing since we were in the Austrian Alps. W e got to our lodging, Gopplespach Castle and had a nice dinner of local wild goat and fell asleep. Gopplespach Castle is owned by one of my grandpa's friends. It was originally built in the 15oo's. Of course, it has been updated since, but it had all the old-world charm!

The next morning, we took a day trip to a cabin in the Alps. It was a rather long drive (especially climbing the Alps in a rental car, I don’t think that’s allowed!) But the views were amazing. We had lunch at this adorable local restaurant called Sticklehutte where I had awesome Wienerschnitzel (my all time favorite). The waiter and waitress in their dirndl and leiderhosen were very nice, didn’t speak much English but it felt like authentic Austria. After lunch, they even gave us all a free shot of some alcohol made from pine trees (don’t know if that translated correctly) but it was awesome. Then, we headed back to the castle.

We explored the little villages in the area which were very small but very quaint. I put my German to good use since not many people spoke English.

Probably the highlight of Austria was the night we went to the music festival in Tamsweg. Everyone was dressed in their Austrian garb and the music was phenomenal. They had trio of Alpenhorn players and our host, Julia played her instrument which is an Austrian version of the accordion. It was probably the most cheery and upbeat music I’ve ever heard. I’m still trying to track down a CD with music like that. Amazing.

Funny thing about Austria is that all American’s get their image of Austria from Sound of Music. However, NO ONE in Austria has ever heard of the film. All the songs (including eidelweiss) were written by American composers specifically for the musical. The movie/musical is based on a true story BUT, Maria came to take care of one kid not the whole Van Trap family. And, the Van Trap family didn’t actually hike their way to freedom by climbing over mountains to Italy. They actually just hiked to the nearby train station.

Gopplespach Castle





Musical Festival in Tamsweg




Sticklehutte Lunch

1 comment:

  1. How fun! Is this music like Polka? Oz and I recently went to Oktoberfest in Leavenworth so that is how I imagine it.

    ReplyDelete