Where did I leave off? So, we arrived in Munich at 6:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM that morning. It was hot again airport but we made our way to baggage claim. Third bag off the belt was my dad's bag. Then we waited, and we waited, and we waited some more. No more bags. We talked to the luggage desk who said they didn't know where our bags were, but they gave us a little mini travel kit with some toothpaste, a white t-shirt (XL) and a toothbrush. Come on now, XL, we're in Europe people, not America. At least give me a L or M shirt!
Once we got to the hotel, I took a quick shower, used the disgusting toothpaste (thanks Air France) and gave my good friend Christian a call who happened to be in Munich as well. After spending about 30 hours in the same clothes, I definitely didn't feel like putting the same clothes on. So, I put on my free white t-shirt compliments of Air France and headed down the my parent's room. Luckily, my dad let me borrow one of his running shirts which was a huge step up from the white t-shirt. I met up with Christian and we headed out to see Munich.
We had dinner at the Haufbrauhaus which was awesome. I have NEVER been a beer drinker, heck, I've never had a beer that I've liked. Maybe it was the atmosphere or the fact that I was barely coherent after the long day of traveling, but I really liked the pilsner we ordered in a huge glass. I had some delicious dinner too, some pork thing with potato dumplings. Let's just say, I can now confirm that I am in fact part German because I was in heaven. I'm in an awesome city, there are men in leiderhosen, and they're serving me meat and potatoes? No vegetable, no fruit, nothing healthy just meat, potatoes, and beer. I could get used to this place!
After we ate, we did a walking tour of Munich. What a gorgeous city! Wow, and at dusk everything lit up. Absolutely amazing. Oh, and our bags arrived at our hotel in Munich around 11:30 that night.
Called it a pretty early night and went back to the hotel. The next morning, we got up, had breakfast then Christian came and took us to the famous church in Munich, Frauenkirche (women's church, yes men are allowed inside). I tried to practice my German, some which came back to me, some which did not. But, I feel like I got a point for effort nonetheless.
We were leaving late morning so Christian was kind enough to help us get to the train station with our 200+ (literally) pound of luggage. We're tall people, we don't travel light! As soon as we get to the station, my mom hands me the tickets. When I open them up to see what track we are leaving from, I noticed that we've missed our train. Unfortunately, we looked at the arrival time and thought it was the departure time... Christian, my mom and I run to the ticket counter to see if we can change trains. Now, there are about 10 people at the counter and ONE English line - that is miles long. So, Christian pulls a German number and gets called almost right away. He talks to the lady and she eventually tells us that the next train leave in 4 minutes. AHHH. So we run back to my sister and dad, grab our bags and head to the track. The train arrived, my dad tosses the bags to me in the train, jumps on and the train departs! This particular train didn't have a storage car. Now, most European trains do, but not ours. Everyone on there was German/Austrian, and man do they travel light. We had to get creative on where to put the bags (see picture below of my dad). But, we made it to Austria.
That's all for tonight. You'll have to wait to hear the next leg of the journey :)
Frauenkirche church
Cool building - don't know what it was...
Main center of Munich
Check out the size of that beer!
Now, I know what you're thinking, I did NOT drink that entire beer. We shared one. The other one is my parents...
My dinner at Haufbrauhaus
Dad on the train to Austria
Lol, I KNEW you didn't drink that whole beer!
ReplyDeleteHey birthday girl, give us a post on your new place!
ReplyDelete