Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Big Kid Furniture!



After months and months of looking for a new dining room table, we found one! I bought it used from a friend, but I'm so happy with it! For those of you who hadn't seen our old dining room table, let me explain.

When we moved into our Kirkland condo over two years ago, both Henry and I did not own a dining room table. Henry's parents were nice enough to help us move into our condo. But, the one problem was, we had no furniture! I was so embarrassed that we didn't have a dining room table for our first guests at our new apartment, I quickly jumped on Craigslist to look for one. After emailing MANY people, I heard back from only one. The table was only moderately ugly and for $75 it was worth it to be able to have guests for dinner. So, we drive over to a house in Bellevue where a cute family with young kids is selling their table. Well, you know me, I'm too nice to say no... So although the chairs were breaking, there was red fingernail polish on the chairs (which looked sort of like blood to me) the family was just too darn cute. I agreed to buy the table because I felt bad saying no after we came ALL this way, so we took the table home. The minute we got it home, I wasn't happy with it. The table itself was ok, very sturdy but the poor chairs! Within months, we were down to 3.5 chairs because one back broke off. The other chairs started to come apart. So for the last two years, we've had this god awful dining set. Plus, whenever we have company we have to bring in and clean chairs from the porch.

Although it wasn't important to Henry to replace it, the table and chairs was sure as heck gonna go. I was about to shell out a good $1,000 for a new dining room set. One day, I was telling my coworker I was looking for a table and she said she was trying to sell one. Well, it was meant to be. We have our first "big kid table" as Henry and I call it. We had our first meal at the table and poured homemade rootbeer into goblets.

Now that I have completely trashed the table, anyone want to buy it? For some reason a table with 3.5 chairs isn't selling very quickly on Craigslist! So for now, it's become Henry's study table and my craft table! (I've always wanted a craft table). Maybe the reason it's not selling is that it's priced too high so I can keep it to sew on. Henry's only criteria was that I TRY to sell it. Well, ya, I'm TRYING to sell it for more than I paid for it with .5 less chairs. I dont see anything wrong with that ;)

P.S. Side note on the centerpiece - Henry and I spent a good hour at Michaels Craft Store (I had to bribe him with a Starbucks) picking it out. Henry had some really good ideas and I think it turned out really cute!

2 comments:

  1. My first big kid furniture was also our dining room table! Well, actually it is still our only big-kid furniture. We bought a new king size mattress this summer, but have yet to put it on a bed so I guess that doesn't count. Sometime I'll come to eat dinner on your new table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! I love that table! Every piece of furniture needs a good story, and this definitely has one, and is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete