Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mystery of the Bird Poop

Spring is slowly on it's way. We've had a few nice days here and there, just enough to fool the birds and cherry trees to think that nice weather will soon follow.

A few weeks ago, I noticed an extremely disgusting streak of bird poop on my car. Here were the facts to see if you could figure it out (sure took us awhile!)
  1. Bird poop was on passengers front door (no other place!)
  2. Poop was more of a streak down the entire length of the door
  3. I was parked on the street with the passenger door facing the sidewalk
  4. There was a telephone line above my car on the sidewalk
Easy to figure out, right?! I clean off the poop and figured the birds were on the telephone line on say, their favorite spot, which just happened to be right above my car. So I thought I'd outsmart them, I would park on the other side of the street away from the telephone pole and down the road a little bit just to be sure.

So the next day, I'm at the getting out of my car at the grocery store, and and a woman comes over to me and tells me to come look at my passenger door. First thought going through my mind is that someone has hit me. Nope, I look at the door, and there it is again! The bird poop is back! Amazing, unbelievable, how the heck did they find my car?

That night I clean it off, again, and Henry and I get brainstorming this mystery. So, I park on the next street over thinking there was no way they'd find me. Wrong again. Ok, so now we're really mad that a bunch of dim-witted crows can outsmart us. Funny part was is that it would ONLY happen to my car no matter where I parked it.

Third time around, we figure it out! Ok, so my mirrors are chrome and for some reason, the crows are using it as a bird toilet. They fly and land on my passenger mirror (on the quieter side of the car away from the street) and take turns pooping on it! I've given you a neat visual below.

So, after all that cleaning and thinking and worrying, how did we solve it you ask yourself? All I did was put a piece of rolled blue tape on my mirror so if they landed on it they'd land on a yucky sticky thing and VOILA! No more bird toilet!

P.S. The image below is not an exaggeration, I promise!

1 comment: