First, my car insurance company called to tell me that at 25, my rates go down. I was excited! I asked "how much!?" The gal said she'd check and put me on hold. Fifteen minutes later, her overly peppy voice said, "actually, your rates are going up!" I questioned her about why she called me to tell me my rates are going down if they are actually going up. She explained to me that my rates are going up because I'm loosing my good student discount. Strike #1.
Then, I was asked to take a survey online by a hotel I just stayed at. Naturally thinking that my opinions matter to someone, I decided to take part. I was giving them really good reviews. The last questions, what's your age range. As I click the drop-down menu, I have the following choices, 18-24, 25-35, 35-50 or 50+. Now I know some of you are saying, "so what? Those look like typical age ranges." But, pay attention closely, I have now jumped from the "young, hip" 18-24 year olds to the 25-35 year olds! Worst of all, I can't go back and change my "nice" answers to "mean and totally honest" answers now that they've insulted me. Strike #2.
Last, I googled "turning 25" to research more ideas on why I should be excited to have lasted a whole 25 years. I came across the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis) telling me that I will experience something called a Quarter-Life Crisis marked by:
- Feeling "not good enough" because one can't find a job that is at one's academic/intellectual level
- frustration with the working world, and finding a suitable job or career
- confusion of identity
- insecurity regarding the near future
- insecurity concerning long-term plans, life goals
- insecurity regarding present accomplishments
- re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
But hey, maybe I should be happy since I've already surpassed the average life expectancy during the Neolithic Era (20) and Bronze Age (18).
Oh Cari, I turn 25 in a couple weeks and this totally confirms all my fears!
ReplyDeleteNiener niener I still have another 6 months : P
ReplyDeleteThanks for the laugh. Want to know my biggest fear about the big 2-5? Brando will be graduated and I'll quickly run out of excuses for being married 6 years and not having a kid. Now THERE's something to fear.
ReplyDeleteThere, there, Cari, I think you make a fabulous 25. Full of talents, high academic achievement, professional experiences, and last but not least, gorgeous tall blond style, who wouldn't want to be a 25 year old Cari Mari? Anyone?